Activity Monitoring Device (Accelerometry) Data
In 2016, qualifying current participants in the Adult Changes in Thought (ACT) Study were invited to participate in an activity-monitoring sub-study (ACT-AM). As part of this study, participants wore an activPAL or ActiGraph accelerometer, or both, and completed daily sleep logs. Data collection has been ongoing, with expansion to a larger number of participants and addition of a sleep watch planned for the future as part of Project 1: The ACT Sleep and Activity Monitoring Project.
In addition to the objective measures of daily movement and sitting patterns derived from the measurement devices worn by participants, participants are also asked to complete the following forms:
- Sleep Log — a brief record of the participant’s time in and out of bed while wearing one or more devices
- Form 66 – Take Home Questionnaire
- Started offering in April 2016 and collection is ongoing
- This survey is offered as part of the biennial study visit and collects information about self-reported physical activity, sitting, sleep, and other related behavioral and environmental factors
The following publications provide additional detail on the activity monitoring device data elements. These may be helpful supporting citations when publishing analyses using these data.
- Rosenberg DE, Walker R, Greenwood-Hickman MA, Bellettiere J, Xiang Y, Richmire K, Higgins M, Wing D, Larson EB, Crane PK, & LaCroix AZ. (2020). Device-assessed physical activity and sedentary behavior in a community-based cohort of older adults. BMC Public Health, 20(1), 1256. doi.org/10.1186/s12889-020-09330-z
- Walker RL, Greenwood-Hickman MA, Bellettiere J, LaCroix AZ, Wing D, Higgins M, Richmire K, Larson EB, Crane PK, & Rosenberg DE. (2021). Associations between physical function and device-based measures of physical activity and sedentary behavior patterns in older adults: moving beyond moderate-to-vigorous intensity physical activity. BMC Geriatrics, 21, 216. doi.org/10.1186/s12877-021-02163-4
- Bellettiere J, Tuz-Zahra F, Carlson JA, Ridgers ND, Liles S, Greenwood-Hickman MA, Walker RL, LaCroix AZ, Jankowska MM, Rosenberg DE, & Natarajan L. (2021). Agreement of Sedentary Behavior Metrics Derived From Hip- and Thigh-Worn Accelerometers Among Older Adults: With Implications for Studying Physical and Cognitive Health, Journal for the Measurement of Physical Behaviour, 4(1), 79-88. doi.org/10.1123/jmpb.2020-0036